This Norton Critical Edition includes:
- The 1674 text of Paradise Lost, with emendations and adoptions from the first edition and from the scribal manuscript. Spelling and punctuation have been modernised for student readers.
- An illuminating introduction and abundant explanatory annotations by Gordon Teskey.
- Source and background materials, including Milton’s greatest prose work, Areopagitica, in its entirety and key selections from the Bible.
- Topically arranged commentaries and interpretations—seventy-eight in all, thirty-nine of them new to the Second Edition—from classic assessments to current scholarship.
- A glossary of names and suggestions for further reading.